Friday, February 9, 2007

Do powerstrips protect your PC?


I woke up this morning to a flashing alarm clock and no AC and was reminded of a conversation I had with Jeremiah and Charles about a month ago.

We were talking about different ways of protecting your computer, and Charles had just purchased a powerstrip through our online store. I had recently read that even if your PC is turned off, if it's still plugged in there's still a little juice running through it. I asked Jeremiah if it was true and he said, "Oh, yeah."

He said they're fine for light flickers but nothing would stop a close lighting strike from potentially frying everything electronic in your house.

I thought that was interesting because I thought that was the whole point of having surge protectors, but apparently the only safe thing to do is to physically unplug everything during a storm.

Protect your PC: pull the plug...

No comments: